Lessons from Joe's Ghetto Child

23:45


Hi people!
Happy New Year!
Been a while sure.
Thanks for keeping faith, I hope to be more consistent.
So let's get started with this.
"People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity, no matter how impressive their other talents." Andrew Carnegie
When R&B sensation Joe Thomas sang that global hit "Ghetto Child featuring Shaggy and The  Boys Choir of Harlem in 2002 under the Album "Better Days" I was still in High School and each time I hear the song it resonates deep memories of my childhood.
Hear him!
"There's a world out there that I wanna see
There's a man that I'm destined to be
I won't be stopped by the ghetto streets
I believe inside that I can't be beat"
"This life could be a ball and chain
If you let yourself get caught in the game
I had some friends who sold drugs for dough
But I don't intend to go down that road"
Just because I'm a ghetto child
I won't live down to your expectations (No, no)
Just believe that a ghetto child
Can rise in the highest celebration (Oh)
Know that I am a ghetto child
But I can see the best in me, can you
I'm a ghetto child"
I have always believed that my background has no right to put my back to the ground hence we have seen many that came out from the streets, defied the strongholds of the Projects and refused to be pressed down by the limitations of the Ghettos. Today they are Champions!
In Joe's words,
"All the ghettos around the world, dig this
One day I'm gonna change the world
Make a better place for every boy and girl
Everyone in need, homeless families
Have a place to sleep and food to eat"
"I'll take every gun off the streets
So another tear won't be shed in grief
And every thug in every hood
I will make 'em change from bad to good"
"I believe that it can be done
Gotta start somewhere and I'm that one
All the children sing (Yeah, yeah)
All the children sing (Yeah,yeah)"
Just as Socrates once wrote "Let him who would move the world first move himself."
The song comes with a lot of push for those who feel the weight of living in the slums. You may not have a hand in where and how you were born, but you definitely have a choice with regards to how you would live when you get to the age of reasoning.
The would be social constructs, societal bias and stereotypic stratifications but again draw Strength from Joe when he says;
"{Hey, yo', look at me inna different light}
{Spare me all about those stereotypes}
Ain't no madness that'll bring me down
Gonna take this life and turn it around"
"{Now see, the sky's the limit, I won't be denied}
{Ain't no stoppin' me, I'm a ghetto child}
And at the end when it's said and done
We will all be singin' this ghetto song"
I believe that it can be done (Yeah, oh)
Gotta start somewhere and I'm that one
All the children sing (Yeah, yeah)
All the children sing (Yeah, yeah)
In 2017 my dear friends, never let your background put your back to the ground. Rise beyond that defeatist social perception and ride on the wings of the sun into excellence!
PS
I love his other Album "My Name is Joe" the track "I wanna" really turns my groove on..
Hahaha!
OjisiEmezie

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments