THE SOGUNRO HEROES PART ONE: MEET AFORFEM AFOBUNOR

07:57




Hi! So it has been a while I have been though I have been active and other platforms on social media. I promise to be more consistent. In this piece, Aforfem Afobunor marketing professional, communications and brand guru, social worker, women’s rights advocate and passionate volunteer shares some deep insight into why who she is and why she is a volunteer.

This is the first in the series of the Sogunro Heroes a group of volunteer who worked with Project ASHA Initiative to bring relief to the lives of girls in Sogunro community, a part of the Makoko Waterfronts in Iwaya, Yaba area of Lagos State, Southwest Nigeria. 

 I had met with the feisty Aforfem sometime in August to celebrate the retrun of Vweta Chadwick 1a 2016 Mandela Washington Fellow and Global Programmes Director at www.projectasha.org there we had some very stormy discussions about Gender Based Violence and the role of young people. Her interview makes for an interesting read. 

I hope you read, comment, like and share with your friends. Aforfem is also ready to connect with young girls and serve as a mentor. Did I forget to add that she is an On-Air Personality with Rainbowl FM 94.1 with the Lets Get Real Programme.

Enough of me; listen to her!

OjisiEmezie

Let's me you. Give us an introduction on who you are, a background about you.    
My name is Aforfem Afobunor. I was born 27th June 1987 at Lagos Island. I am the Creative Director at TCLI. I started lending my voice for social good as a young debater in high school at 13. It dawned on me when I got to senior high I hadn't lent my voice in the right direction; though I was popular but bullying/abuse of girls was prevalent in senior high but no one dared to protest for fear of expulsion. At 16 and about to leave high school, speaking up against the menace and the management could spell woe for me but I did and earned myself a 3 days suspension.


However I felt a refreshing within my soul haven done that. The management of the school made further inquiry into the matter and that brought an end to bullying of girls in high school. During my valedictory service haven completed my senior secondary school examinations I was awarded with an award of distinction. Haven excelled and distinguished myself in literary and debating.

Any educational qualifications? How's schooling  for you?
I am a certified marketing professional and a member of the National Institute of Marketing of Nigeria. I have a Master of Science degree and Bachelor of Science degree both in Marketing from the University of Lagos and Lagos State University respectively. Schooling was very demanding and challenging but with patience, perseverance and prayers I have been able to sail through.

When did you start volunteering, can you remember why you took such decisions?
I started volunteering at age 15 with Isaachar Generation. This was born out of self inspiration and personal introspection for social good. Very early in life I understood that women had the power to be true agents of change. These famous sayings of Oprah Winfrey "Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not" has been my drive for social good, has made me even more resilient. And as a woman who have been a victim of gender base violence I always remember that women across the globe need me.




How long have you been involved with the Project Asha?
 I have been with Project Asha for a year and half now.

What has the experience been to you?
It has been a worthwhile experience and has opened me to a whole lot of learning about our peculiar challenges as individuals and our collective goal as a nation.

What does Sogunro mean to you and how long have you been involved with the Project?
The Sogunro project took shape Mid year and I was part of the Obstetrics fistula campaign and the planning/strategy formulation of the musical show.

How much impact do you think Project ASHA has had on the Sogunro community?
The impact as been on a micro scale but I'm hoping that it will transcend beyond mega scale. However, on a micro scale it has been both a learning and empowering experience for both the project executioners and the project beneficiaries.

Describe the Sogunro Girls, what do you think the future holds for them?
Sogunro girls are very passionate and self motivated individuals. Given the appropriate and adequate resources they can be formidable voices for and among their peers and the society.
Aside Volunteering, what does Aforfem do?

I am a Marketing consultant with specialization in New product development, branding and communications. I'm also working on an album because I am a great singer and I intend to use that Avenue to reach millions across the globe too.



What does ASHA mean to you?
Asha means have faith with works and you will move that mountain.

With regards to Gender Based Violence, how has affected your perception of how you view the world?
Based on my experience of GBV my perception about the world moved from obscurity to reality. The world suffers in silence and still moves like there isn't a problem with it. If we would have generations yet unborn forgive us for our callousness and lackadaisical attitude about Gender Based Violence then the time to raise and lend our voices is now.

As a young professional, how do you juggle your work as a young woman and volunteering?
One of the great advantages of being a woman my age and not raising kids yet, is the ability to synchronize your vision with action. However there is a thin line between profession and vocation which often times becomes cumbersome and complex. But I've been able to surmount these challenges because I am a stickler for time when it comes to work, I don't procrastinate and I prioritize my activities using the 80/20 rule as well.


Are you open to mentoring young girls who wish to learn from you?
Am so opened to mentoring other young women who would be opened to mentoring. To strengthen my commitment for mentorship, during the Africa4Her campaign by the YALI Network this year, I took the pledge to mentor a young woman or girl in my community.

What are your social media platform contacts?
I can be reached on all social media platforms as @aforfresh


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments