CHIAMAKA OGUERI: HOW ASTHMA MADE ME BETTER

06:53

“In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.” ― Albert Camus

Hola people!

It has been ages I know right! I apologies. I look forward to being regular now. You can ask all your questions later, but first, let me share this very interesting personal tale of triumph from my friend. I hope it encourages you to keep fighting especially as we all struggle to survive this period of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Enjoy!

OjisiEmezie

 


How do i begin this tale about how Asthma, a nightmare that came to me as a child, lasted until my adulthood and has now left me a better person? Well, 14 years ago I was diagnosed of asthma. It struck me from my lungs, narrowing my airways, constricted my bronchial, brought with it wheezing breathing, left me gasping for air with pains in my chest, ribs and shoulders. You don’t want to imagine the pains.


As a young child approaching her teen, I didn’t understand what it meant to be asthmatic. Initially, I was oblivious of what it was; but, my doctor and parents took me through  the processes and interventions I must take once I had a respiratory discomfort. My inhaler was always with me. I was in the secondary school then and couldn’t tell my mates about my condition because I didn’t want to be discriminated against. Hence, I would always  hide to use my inhaler.




While in High School, I was an athlete and did well in tracks, running the 100m, 200m and 4 × 100m relay races. I represented my sport house during the Annual inter house sports and did well in such outings. Running at the risk of my health was not a concern, I wanted to show my abilities.  

On some occasions, I  have had attacks on the tracks while running. These attacks were severe because they led to me being hospitalized. Few family friends got to know and recommended alternative treatment – traditional medicine. At first we had our doubts about it, but my parents wanted results immediately. The frequent hospitalizations, nocturnal attacks, the pains I went through, the many struggles for my life had tortured my parents and they desperately needed a solution. The traditional approach held no viable results, so we switched back to orthodox medication, where I began to progress in the management of my condition.

Then I got admitted into the University of my dreams. Then, my well managed asthma caved in like a pack of cards. Why? Student life, stress, moving to a new apartment, anxiety among others was key triggers. This was when I was first introduced to a nebuliser. Mother had procured one for me because it became imperative for me to own one at the time . The nebuliser is quite expensive, different from an average inhaler and requires a prescription before usage.


 The nebulizer gave quick relief because the medicine which comes in liquid form but when connected with the machine transforms into vapour and connects directly to the lungs. If I had a mild attack or I sensed the symptoms coming early enough,, then I could nebulise myself without any help; if not I would need help to set the nebuliser up. With the nebulizer, the number of hospitalizations declined. Another inhaler was added to my prescription. At this point I was using inhaled Long Acting Beta Adrenergic Agonist with Corticosteroid and on a daily basis. I resorted to Short Acting Beta Adrenergic Agonist Inhaler whenever I had an attack. I I also use my nebulizer if I’m home (my nebuliser was electric).

I was made to understand that Corticosteroids are my daily meal to keep my airways from getting inflamed. I have I religiously followed up with the prescription and then the frequency of the attacks reduced from weekly to once or twice monthly and later once in 4-6 months. The improvement was tremendous.

In November 2016, something terrible happened. I almost died that day hence, it is one day I won’t forget in a hurry. I was in my room when the attack came, it was severe. My Salbutamol failed me and I ran out of my room asking my friend to blow me air. I was choking and needed to breathe, I kept gasping for air, I felt life slowly ebbing away. Yet my friend would not stop blowing the air and after some minutes of struggle, things normalised. The battle was fierce and in intense, one of the most deadly fifteen minutes I have ever witnessed in my life. I won that battle.

The picture above was taken on the first day of the year 2020. I had Scheduled a shoot days before the end of the previous year and lo, my nightmare came visiting again. I postponed my shoot until I was well. This scene wasn’t planned for till I stepped into the studio and told the photographer we needed to change plans. I wanted to show my strength, my struggle to live, my pain and my miracle.

Since the news of the Covid-19 pandemic, I have been left thinking if the end has come for me. Asthmatics and diabetics are predisposed to the virus (coronavirus). I feared death. At some point I was willing to go run the COVID19 test to know my status. My trigger this time was emotional. I was anxious all the time. I blocked my ears off the NEWS on the number of cases and death tolls. Asthmatics have a low chance of survival because when we fall ill, we do it with gusto.

The nightmares came again during the early weeks of the pandemic. With accompanying pains, it did come and my best weapon to fight it is the nebuliser. One actuation twice daily of Long Acting Beta Adrenergic Agonist and it keeps the nightmare away for months.

Asthmatics know their triggers and this is imperative. Possible triggers are dust, smoke, foul smell, perfume, emotions (excitement, anxiety, sadness), stress, low temperature, Flee from them, this reduces doctor’s appointments and multiple hospitalizations. Also, stay true to your inhalers or Nebulisers, whichever you can afford to buy.

We can live a full, lively and fun life. Know what anti-asthma medication and inhalers works best for you. I am living my life better now because I know how to overcome my nightmares. You can do it.

Stay safe!

Chiamaka Ogueri is a n energetic, positive minded Pharmacist with a deep love for skincare and global diplomacy . you can follow her across social social media via;

Facebook Ogueri Chiamaka  Instagram: ogueri_chi TwitterOgueriChiamaka


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments